Florida Citrus Recipes Appetizers
Five-Spice Appetizer Meatballs
Hot Crab Dip
Orange Jalapeno Chicken Party Pinwheels
Festive Grapefruit Punch
Florida Sunshine Shake
Mai Tai Punch
Florida Orange Date Nut Bran Muffins
Temple Orange Tea Bread
Orange-Spice Pot Roast
Caribbean-Grilled Chicken with Citrus
Florida's Favorite Chicken
Grilled Chicken with Fruit
Orange Teriyaki Glazed Chicken with Citrus Wild Rice
Grilled Key West Shrimp with Florida Citrus Stew
Broiled Fish with Citrus-Grape Sauce
Orange Chops and Noodles
Orange-Herbed Pork Roast
Barbecued Turkey Tenderloins
Citrus and Papaya Salad
Citrus Tossed Salad
Orange and Cucumber Salad
Potluck Pasta Salad
Asparagus with Zesty Orange Sauce
Mashed Grapefruit Sweet Potatoes
Squash with Orange Sauce
Wild Rice Pilaf
- Five-Spice Appetizer Meatballs
- Turn these miniature meatballs into a main dish by spooning several meatballs and sauce over hot cooked rice or noodles.
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups Florida Orange Juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 medium red and/or green sweet pepper, cut into 1" pieces
- In a large bowl combine egg white, bread crumbs, five-spice powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 48 1" meatballs. Place in a 15"x10"x1" baking pan. Bake in a 350° oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until no pink remains in center of meatballs. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan stir together orange juice, honey, cornstarch, soy sauce, and ginger. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Add sweet pepper and meatballs in saucepan; cook and stir until heated through. Keep warm in a fondue pot or chafing dish. Serve with toothpicks.
- Makes 48 appetizer-size meatballs.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER MEATBALL: 27 cal., 2 g pro., 3 g carbo., 1 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 0 g dietary fiber, 59 mg sodium.
- Hot Crab Dip
- Pita chips are great low-fat dippers for this scrumptious dip. To make the chips, cut 4 pita rounds in half horizontally. Cut each half into 6 wedges. Place in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 350° oven 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Nonstick spray coating
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, well-drained and chopped
- 2/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise dressing
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup diced pimiento
- 1 6-ounce can lump crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed
- Spray an unheated medium saucepan with nonstick coating. Heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat. Add orange juice, artichokes, mayonnaise dressing, onions, cheese, and pimiento. Gently fold in crabmeat. Transfer to a 1-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400° oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Cool 5 minutes. Stir before serving. Serve warm with pita chips, vegetable dippers, or assorted crackers. Makes about 3-1/2 cups.
- Serves 12.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 55 cal., 4 g pro., 7 g carbo., 1 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 1 g dietary fiber, 280 mg sodium. Daily values: 13% vit C.
- Orange Jalapeno Chicken Party Pinwheels
- Chef Kathi Anne Dameron, of The Canopy Rose Cafe, Tallahassee
- 1 package 10" flour tortillas (6 tortillas)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley. chopped
- 4 baked or grilled chicken breasts, cut in thin strips
- 2 cups fresh spinach, cut in very thin strips
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Florida Grapefruit Salsa (recipe to follow)
- Mix softened cream cheese with jalapeno chilies, orange marmalade, green onions and parsley. Spread on middle of flour tortillas, making sure to leave at lease 1/2 inch around edge. Top with several thin chicken strips. Top with avocado and shredded spinach. Top with dollop of salsa.
- Roll tortillas and refrigerate until chilled (approximately 4 hours).
- Cut tortillas into 1 inch slices. Arrange on plate and garnish with Florida citrus fruit.
- Yields: Approximately 48 pinwheels.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING (one pinwheel) : 60 cal., 3g pro., 5 g. carbo, 3g. total fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 73 mg. potassium. Daily Value: 3% vit. C, 5% vit. A, 2% folate, 3% thiamine, 3% riboflavin, 7% niacin, 3% iron.
- Grapefruit Salsa
- 1 cup pink Florida grapefruit, sections
- 1 cup white Florida grapefruit, sections
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- black pepper, Lawry's seasoning salt, and rum to taste
- NUTRITION FACTS PER RECIPE : : 196 cal., 4 g pro., 50 g. carbo., .6 g. total fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g. dietary fiber, 694 mg.sodium, 789 mg potassium. Daily Value: 268 vit. C, 28% vit. A, 16% folate. 12% thiamine, 7% riboflavin, 9% niacin, 8% iron.
- Citrus Eye-Opener
- Kick off a brunch or a leisurely weekend breakfast with tall glasses of this zippy drink.
- 1 12-ounce can frozen Florida Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
- 1 6-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 1-liter bottle carbonated water, chilled
- Ice cubes
- 1 Florida Orange, sliced and halved (optional)
- In a large pitcher combine thawed concentrates and cold water.
- Just before serving, slowly add carbonated water. Stir gently to mix. To serve, pour over ice cubes in glasses. If desired, garnish the glasses with halved orange slices. Serve at once.
- Makes 8 (7- to 8-ounce) servings.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 106 cal., 1 g pro., 26 g carbo., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g dietary fiber, 28 mg sodium. Daily value: 104% vit. C, 38% folate, 12% thiamine, 15% potassium.
- Citrus Soother
- For a festive touch, twist Florida orange peel strips around cinnamon sticks and use for stirrers.
- 3 cups Florida Orange Juice
- 1 cup Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 inches stick cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan combine orange juice, grapefruit juice, honey, and cinnamon. Heat, stirring occasionally, just until warm (do not boil). Remove cinnamon with slotted spoon; discard. Serve warm. If desired, garnish with Florida orange slices.
- Makes 4 or 5 servings.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 172 cal., 1 g pro., 42 g carbo., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g dietary fiber, 7 mg sodium. Daily values: 90% vit. C, 12% potassium.
- Festive Grapefruit Punch
- For a baby shower, reception, or graduation celebration, add grenadine syrup to give the punch a soft pink color.
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup frozen Florida Grapefruit Juice Concentrate, thawed
- 1 6-ounce can frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons grenadine syrup (optional)
- 1 1-liter bottle ginger ale, chilled
- Ice ring or ice cubes
- In a punch bowl or large pitcher combine water, thawed grapefruit juice and pineapple juice concentrates, and honey. If desired, add grenadine syrup. Stir until combined.
- To serve, slowly pour chilled ginger ale down the side of the bowl or pitcher. Stir gently to mix. Add ice ring or serve over ice in chilled glasses or punch cups. Serve at once.
- Makes about 18 (4-ounce) servings.
- Brighten up your punch bowl and keep the beverage cold at the same time with a festive ice ring. To prepare, select a ring mold that fits into the punch bowl. Fill the mold half full with water and freeze until firm (about 4 hours). Cut 3 Florida Orange Wheels or Slices in half and arrange on top of the frozen ice layer. If desired, top each orange half-slice with a cluster of 3 whole cranberries and clean lemon or orange leaves. Add enough water to cover the fruit. Freeze until firm. Unmold the ice ring and place it in the punch bowl. Consider making several ice rings so you can replace them as they melt.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 61 cal., 0 g pro., 15 g carbo., 0 g total fat (0 sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g dietary fiber, 5 mg sodium. Daily value: 25% vit. C.
- Florida Spritzer
- 1-1/2 cups Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 inches stick cinnamon
- Ice cubes
- 2 12-ounce cans ginger ale, chilled
- For syrup, in a saucepan combine grapefruit juice, sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Discard cinnamon; cool syrup. Cover and chill syrup. To serve, fill four 8-ounce glasses with ice. Add about 1/3 cup grapefruit syrup to each glass. Fill glasses with ginger ale. Stir gently. If desired, garnish with Florida grapefruit peel curls, edible flowers, and fresh mint springs.
- Serves 4.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 149 cal., 1 g pro., 38 g carbo., 0 g total fat (0 g. sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g dietary fiber, 14 mg sodium. Daily values: 28% vit. C.
- Florida Sunshine Shake
- 1 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth. Pour into glass, and serve immediately.
- Makes two 8-ounce servings.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 182 cal., 4 g pro., 40 g carbo., 1 g fat (0.1 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 91 mg vit. C.
- Fruit Frosties
- Whip up this nutritious orange juice drink for an after-school treat, or serve it to the grown-ups instead of frozen daiquiris.
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 10-ounce package frozen strawberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup frozen Florida orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 ripe banana, cut up
- 1 to 2 cups ice cubes
- Whole fresh strawberries (optional)
- 1 Florida orange, sliced and halved (optional)
- In a blender container or food processor bowl combine water, thawed strawberries, orange juice concentrate, and banana pieces. Cover and blend or process until smooth. While the blender or processor is running, add the ice cubes through the hole in the lid, blending or processing until mixture is smooth and slushy. To serve, pour into glasses. If desired, garnish with whole strawberries and halved orange slices. Serve at once.
- Makes 6 (8-ounce) servings.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 108 cal., 1 g pro., 28 g carbo., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g dietary fiber, 2 mg sodium. Daily value: 101% vit. C, 30% folate, 16% potassium.
- Mai Tai Punch
- Enliven a party with this light, bubbly version of the South-Seas beverage.
- 3/4 cup frozen FLORIDA ORANGE JUICE Concentrate, thawed
- 3/4 cup frozen FLORIDA GRAPEFRUIT JUICE Concentrate, thawed
- 3/4 cup light rum
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1 1-liter bottle carbonated water, chilled
- Crushed ice
- Florida Orange or Grapefruit Wedges (optional)
- In a 2-quart pitcher combine thawed orange and grapefruit juice concentrates, rum, and orange liqueur. Gently stir in carbonated water. Serve at once over crushed ice. If desired, garnish with orange or grapefruit wedges. Makes 8 (about 7-ounce) servings.
- NUTRITIONAL FACTS PER SERVING: 141 cal., 1 g pro., 20 g carbo., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g dietary fiber, 27 mg sodium. Daily Value: 110% vit. C, 27% folate.
- Orange Tango
- This fruity, tropical shake makes a first-rate drink.
- 3/4 cup frozen Florida Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups pineapple or lemon sherbet
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a blender container combine thawed concentrate and mangoes. Cover and blend until mixture is smooth. Add sherbet, milk, and vanilla; cover and blend until smooth. Serve immediately in tall glasses with straws. If desired, garnish with Florida orange slices and edible flowers.
- Serves 5.
- NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 267 cal., 5 g pro., 57 g carbo., 3 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 2 g dietary fiber, 63 mg sodium. Daily values: 153% vit. C, 38% vit A, 21% folic acid, 14% thiamine, 13% riboflavin, 12% calcium, 16% potassium.
- Florida Orange Date Nut Bran Muffins
- 2 cups shredded bran cereal
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg (egg substitute optional)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons taking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease one 12-cup muffin tin. In a large bowl, combine bran cereal, water and oil, stirring until bran softens. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, Florida Orange Juice, molasses, honey, orange zest, and egg until blended. In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt.
- Add buttermilk mixture to bran, stirring to combine. Add flour mixture, dates and walnuts to bran mixture, stirring just until flour is moistened. Spoon into muffin cups, and bake until top springs back when lightly pressed, about 18 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.